Really sorry about the lack of Echo Valley chapter today. There are a number of reasons for this:
- My "lunchroom" at work has been otherwise occupied a day or two last week. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but this is the one place I get most of Echo Valley done. I could go to a coffee shop on my lunch break instead, but that requires money and this month's been pretty...well, tight, shall we say.
- Me and my wife are expecting our second baby next month, so spare time (which is writing time) is spent preparing the last few things before the baby gets here. (Basically, bullet-proofing your house and destroying everything you own in case the baby swallows it.)
- I've also started writing blogs for gaming site Pixelcore. Whilst this may not be priority, I'm not exactly rolling in cash from Echo Valley and I've been really enjoying writing for them so far. So for now, I might as well enjoy the lack of agents pressuring me for a deadline.
- Let's not forget that I've started getting back into my life long passion of drawing, which thanks to the wonders of social media, has been bringing in more comissions and money. This isn't to say in anyway that I'd rather not be working on EV, but I'm sure you guys have been there or are currently in there: Not everyone can afford to work for free.
- Lastly, at the point we're at now in the Echo Valley story, we are almost reaching the 'half-way' point. Originally, Echo Valley was only meant to be a free chapter or two here on my site, followed by looking into the options of publishing if it got enough interest. But I got carried away/obsessed with writing the chapters and sharing them with you guys, and so now would be a good time to consider bringing the free chapters to an end and start looking into the pros and cons of publishing options. The novel is too short to have much of a chance being published as a first time novelist at a publishing house, but the horrors of self-promoting my book with self-publishing (and potentially ruining my chances of being considered by a publishing house in the future with other story ideas) are dawning on me quite heavily.
Don't worry, I will be posting chapter 6 next Monday (3/10/16) and it will be a longer than usual chapter to make up for the delay. It's ended up naturally becoming a longer chapter, which is another reason it's not ready for you today. I will also let you know then on how the story will continue in terms of being free on my site or to buy as a book. Speaking of which, do let me know in the comments if Echo Valley is something you'd prefer holding in your hands to take with you everywhere and weird out your friends with, or if it's something you're quite fine with just reading via a screen.
I'd like to thank everyone who's supported me with my writing and Echo Valley so far, your words of encouragement go a long way and I feel good knowing the madness in my head actually has a purpose.